As I’m sitting here recovering data from a crashed RAID drive (yes again, shutup) I decided I’d think about what characters and professions I will be going into the Mists of Pandaria launch and decided we might as well make a case study out of it, kill two birds with one stone and what-not. I’ll make this into a series as it should be interesting to track this as we get closer to the new expansion. Look forward to hearing more about this later.
Lets start it off by laying down what my current setup is:
|Character||Level||Profession One||Profession Two|
|Holy Paladin||85||535 Jewelcrafting||525 Inscription|
|Druid||85||525 Blacksmith||525 Engineering|
|Priest||85||450 Mining||450 Herbalism|
|Deathknight||75||525 Enchanting||525 Alchemy|
|Deathknight||75||525 Mining||300 Tailoring|
Yes, through the magic of server transfers I have two Deathknights which was incredibly convenient since I hate levelling (my priest was boosted from scratch to level 80 with Scroll of Resurrection too).
Here’s the issue: Two days ago my Priest’s profession slots were still empty, so I decided since I was likely going to use my Priest as my main going into the expansion, I might as well load up on gathering professions since they make so much at the beginning of the expansion and then change them to something more useful later on. Now this is were I run into some issues with my profession arrangement:
- While a Mining/Herbalist combo is ideal, it’s even more ideal on a Druid while mine is currently on my Priest. This is compounded by several issues:
- I don’t currently have a DPS spec in my Priest (I’m Disc/Holy) while Feral is my Main Spec on my Druid
- My Druid already has two perfectly good professions in an excellent combo (all my bars can go to the one character)
- Having a Jewelcrafter and Enchanter on the same character is ideal, less mailing items between characters
- Levelling two identical characters (my two Deathknights) through identical content (Northrend) for even 5 levels is a real pain
So obviously a few things here are causing issues. Ideally this would be the setup that I’d like:
While that would be good for like the first week but then that druid would be better off having crafting professions, and then it’d have to be rearranged again! So I’d be dropping, picking up, dropping, and then picking up again in the course of like 2 months – not a good idea. Or, I could continue with my Priest’s Mining and Herbalism through the launch and then switch to like Alchemy/Tailoring and drop the tailoring on my second DK for herbalism just so I can have a dual gatherer. This’d mean I’d have to pick of Shadow spec likely to get through the rigors of levelling in Mists of Pandaria since I doubt atonement spec is going to persist into the new talent system.
We’ll follow up on this in a week or so and see how I’m doing and any changes I’ve made. Until then looking forward to any input on this issue!